Saturday, September 8, 2012

Using Blogs to Meet Standards in the ESL Classroom


When thinking about using technology in the classroom, I think two mistakes are often made.  The first one is to use technology just for the sake of using it and not reflecting about whether it is actually enhancing the learning experience for students.  It seems that sometimes people think that just because it is done with technology it is automatically better.  This is not necessarily true.  I think that teachers should really reflect about how the technology is being incorporated and if it is really improving the experience or just being used for its own sake.  There is nothing wrong with using a traditional method if it is effective and engaging!  Having said this, I think the other mistake teachers may make is to keep doing what they have always done and NOT look for ways to incorporate new ideas, including technology.  The explosion and availability of technology has transformed the world and using these technologies has the potential to transform classrooms as well.  As with anything that teachers do, the important thing is to be thoughtful, critical, reflective, and willing to try new things!

One use of technology that I think could be beneficial is the use of blogs in the ESL classroom.  There are many ways that blogging can enhance the learning experience. 

One example of this is having students complete writing assignments and post them to a class blog could provide more opportunities for collaboration than there would be in the classroom, especially among the students.  The students could read each other’s posts, comment, and give feedback in ways that would be cumbersome to do with more than just one or two students in the classroom.  This would provide the students with more interaction than they might have had with traditional writing assignments.

The teacher could also post links to websites which provide students with examples of authentic language that they can use, react to, and comment on.  This could provide students with more opportunities to see the language used in an authentic setting.  The students could also contribute things they have found (pre-approved by the teacher, of course J), as well.  This would be engaging for students as it would automatically be tailored to the interests of the particular class.

A blog could also provide a way for teachers, students, and parents to communicate with each other.  Important information and dates could be posted as well as summaries of what was done in class for students who were absent (or need a reminder!)  The students could each take turns at posting the summary of the day’s activity, which could also be added to or modified by the teacher.  This could also allow an opportunity to reflect on what has gone on in class for the day.  Students could post observations and questions which could be answered by the teacher or their classmates.

I think that using blogs in this way is could be an effective way to incorporate technology and make the classroom a more engaging place.  In addition, several New York State Learning Standards would be addressed including: 

Standard 1:  Students will listen, speak, read, and write in English for information and understanding
Standard 2:  Students will listen, speak, read, and write in English for literary response, enjoyment, and expression
Standard 3:  Students will listen, speak, read, and write in English for critical analysis and evaluation
Standard 4:  Students will listen, speak, read, and write in English for classroom and social interaction

11 comments:

  1. I think you would enjoy Ruben Puentedura's categorization of using technology. He proposes looking at the use of technology in relation to how or whether the same learning can or cannot be accomplished without technology. Here are his classifications of technology use for learning activities:
    1. Substitution (Ex. use of online dictionary for book dictionary):
    * What will I gain by replacing the older technology with the new
    technology?
    2. Augmentation (Online dictionary with related words/ visualizations, etc. or online calculations and graphing):
    * Have I added a feature to the task process that could not be done with the older technology at a fundamental level?
    * How does this feature contribute to my design?
    3. Modification (Ex. Constant updated infograhics. play music on various online instruments on same site):
    * How is the original task being modified?
    * Does this modification depend upon the new technology?
    * How does this modification contribute to my design?
    4. Redefinition (Creation of movies, joining KIVA, ePals):
    * What is the new task?
    * Will it replace or supplement older tasks?
    * How is it uniquely made possible by the new technology?
    * How does it contribute to my design?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! This is exactly the type of thing I'm talking about! This is definitely a good checklist to keep in mind. Thanks for posting it!

      Delete
  2. Julia, I love the points you make at the beginning of your blog post about the two mistakes instructors commonly make in their stance toward technology. I've been in classrooms where students have access to technology but in which technology is just used as a way of killing time at the end of class, giving students the chance to play games on the computer, for example, instead of being used as a part of the lesson to improve students' learning experience. I agree that it's really important to be reflective about the ways we choose to use technology in the L2 classroom to evaluate whether it's really being used to enhance instruction, or just because it's trendy, easy, or something new.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with the reflection on the first paragraph of your post. Education is a changing world, and teachers should adapt to the changes that may come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was also struck by the first paragraph. It is true that we seem to automatically reach for technology without actually considering if it's going to be the best course of action. Society seems to be breeding this mentality into us, unfortunately. I also like your point about a collaborative space. One of the "error correction" methods that psychologists rave about is peer correction or else, self-correction. I think having works out in writing like this would help with both of these techniques. Students could look back on their own work and see where they made mistakes after they learn something new.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julia, I agree with you, I think we should consider the application of technology and internet tools in education and explore how these useful tools could help students study better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed your post, great points! A few of my colleagues were just discussing this topic! Unfortunately, I think some use technology just to say that they are using it and do not understand how it may, or may not, be aiding in the students' learning experience. Personally, I am not too technology savvy and mostly use traditional learning approaches. I do use Powerpoint and show some video clips that incorporate culture but I do not go much further than that. However, I feel that my approach is successful since my students produce positive results on the topics discussed. I am now thinking about how I would like to start incorporating more technology into my classes. But, like you said, I want to make sure that it is beneficial and enhancing the learning process and not just being used to say that I use it. For me, that seems to be the biggest hurdle at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree with your idea of using blogs as their writing assignment display walls. Especially, what you mentioned on the mistakes teacher often make makes me reflect many things. I've tried to use web community for managing the class, but, due partly to my ignorance to carefully reflect the purpose and methods, it was not so successful. This experience led me to consider web tools like blogs a bit negatively, but now I think it's time to reconsider the use of using different tools "reflectively". Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the idea of having students do their writing assignments on a blog. I think it would also be great to have them comment on other peoples posts(kind of like we are doing now) so that they can get feedback from their peers on their writing. I think a lot of times ESL students feel like they don't fit in because they have a hard time communicating with their peers so this could really make them feel more comfortable with communication because they don't have to be so nervous in a classroom but they still get to have a voice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your blog, Julia!

    A lot of useful information. Also you have a good understanding about the standards.

    Plus, I like your links and I should learn from you. You help us to build a good connection.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Julia, what a wonderful blog! Especially what you mentioned the teacher could provide students with examples of authentic language on blog, I cannot agree more. And Weblog is a popular method in teaching, students are willing to read, write and collaborate on blogs.

    ReplyDelete